The US Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General (OIG) has released Revisions to the Office of Inspector General's Civil Monetary Penalty Rules, which amends the current rules and addresses the Affordable Care Act’s statutory requirement for civil money penalties (CMPs), assessments and exclusion for actions including:
1) failure to grant OIG timely access to records;
2) ordering or prescribing while excluded;
3) making false statements, omissions or misrepresentations in an enrollment application;
4) failure to report and return an overpayment; and
5) making or using a false record or statement material to a false or fraudulent claim.