Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Motion Picture Licensing Corporation Discount on Umbrella License Available Through Dec. 31

In August, AHCA/NCAL announced a formal agreement with the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) to help long term and post-acute care providers continue to offer movie night while adhering to federal copyright laws.

Motion picture showings within senior living and health care communities have always required a public performance license in accordance with the U.S. Copyright Act. As a result, AHCA/NCAL (and all other leading industry associations including, LeadingAge, National Association of Activity Professional [NAAP], American Senior Housing Association [ASHA], and Argentum) has entered into a new agreement with MPLC.

The 2016 Agreement better educates members on the need for copyright compliance when motion pictures and other audiovisual programs are shown in senior living and health care communities.

The Agreement states that:

· All communities, regardless of their type or license status, must obtain licensure for exhibitions of Videos transmitted over a closed circuit television system or in-house channel.

· All communities, regardless of their type or license status, must obtain licensure for exhibitions of Videos in common areas such as a theater, lounge, or community room.

· Assisted living, nursing and rehabilitation units receive a reduced rate on the license. Minimum fees are waived for campuses that are strictly nursing, assisted living, or rehabilitation.

There is a special introductory discount of almost 40% for qualifying member facilities that secure an Umbrella License® before December 31, 2016. If you operate assisted living, nursing or rehabilitation units, AHCA/NCAL strongly encourages you to secure an Umbrella License prior to December 31, 2016 to ensure the lowest possible license fee. Please visit the AHCA/NCAL website for the application brochure.

The Umbrella License provides the most comprehensive programming available from over 1,000 motion picture studios and producers ranging from major Hollywood studios to educational, independent, specialty, foreign language, documentary, and television producers. The license covers thousands of titles currently available in any legal format originally intended for personal, private use only.

Learn more about AHCA/NCAL’s agreement with MPLC and how to apply for an Umbrella License by visiting AHCA/NCAL’s website.

No comments:

Post a Comment