Today the American Health Care Association and National Center for Assisted Living (AHCA/NCAL) elected AHCA’s Board of Governors and NCAL’s Board of Directors for the 2016-2017 term. Tom Coble of Oklahoma was elected for a second term as AHCA Chair, and Christian (Chris) Mason of Oregon was re-elected as NCAL Chair.
New to the AHCA Board of Governors were Not-For-Profit Representative Gary Kelso (Utah), Affiliated State Health Care Association Executives (ASHCAE) Representative Dirk Anjewierden (Utah), and At-Large Board Representative Janet Snipes (Colorado). New members to the NCAL Board of Directors include ASHCAE Vice President Veronica Sharpe (Washington, D.C.) and At-Large Representative Gail Sheridan (Minnesota).
“We are proud to welcome this distinguished group of leaders to our respective Boards,” said AHCA/NCAL President and CEO Mark Parkinson. “We face many challenges and opportunities in the coming year, and I believe that we can continue to deliver solutions for quality care under Tom and Chris’ leadership.”
Coble is CEO of Elmbrook Management Company in Oklahoma. He has been a board member of the Oklahoma Association of Healthcare Providers since 2000 and began serving on AHCA’s Board of Governors in 2011 in various roles. Coble spent over 15 years working in the oil and gas industry prior to entering the long term care profession in 1993. He is now recognized as an expert and spokesman in the profession, delivering expert testimony before committees of the U.S. Congress and the Oklahoma State Legislature. Coble also represented AHCA at The White House Conference on Aging in 2015, which marked the 50th anniversary of Medicare and Medicaid.
The remaining members of AHCA’s 2016-2017 Board include:
• Michael Wylie of Pennsylvania, Vice Chair
• Robin Hillier of Ohio, Secretary/Treasurer
• Len Russ of New York, Immediate Past Chair
• Phil Scalo of New Jersey, Independent Owner Representative
• Steve Cavanaugh of Virginia, Multifacility Representative
• Glenn Van Ekeren of Nebraska, Regional Multifacility Representative
• Debbie Meade of Georgia, At-Large Board Representative
• David Norsworthy of Arkansas, At-Large Board Representative
• Greg Elliot of West Virginia, At-Large Board Representative and
• Phil Fogg of Oregon, At-Large Board Representative.
There are three ex-officio members on the AHCA Board of Governors. In addition to the ASHCAE Representative, they include:
• Peter Corless, Associate Business Member (ABM) Representative and
• Chris Mason of Oregon, NCAL Representative.
NCAL also elected its Board of Directors today, including the re-election of Mason as Chair. He is the president and chief executive officer of Senior Housing Managers, which operates assisted living, residential care communities and nursing centers in multiple states. Mason’s career in long term care spans 30 years. He was elected to NCAL’s Board in 2006 and is an active member of the American College of Health Care Administrators.
The remaining members of NCAL’s Board of Directors include:
• Ashley Blankenship of Arkansas, Vice-Chair
• Helen Crunk of Nebraska, Secretary-Treasurer
• Patricia (Pat) Giorgio of Iowa, Immediate Past Chair
• Rod Burkett of Illinois, At-Large Representative
• David Chensvold of Iowa, At-Large Representative
• Michele DeClemente-Hughes of New Jersey, At-Large Representative
• Lee Field of Washington, At-Large Representative
• Gerald Hamilton of New Mexico, At-Large Representative
• Steven Heaney of New Jersey, At-Large Representative
• Carmy Jerome of Colorado, At-Large Representative
• Mark Maxfield of Idaho, At-Large Representative
• Ed McMahon of Virginia, At-Large Representative
• Sean Mockbee of Arizona, At-Large Representative
• Tom Reddy of Kansas, At-Large Representative
• Steve Schrunk of Florida, At-Large Representative
• Laurie Shepard of Michigan, At-Large Representative
• Michael Wylie, AHCA Vice-Chair
• Heath Boddy of Nebraska, ASHCAE Representative
• Kathleen Collins Pagels of Arizona, ASHCAE Representative and
• Shawn Scott, ABM Representative.
As the AHCA Chair, Coble also serves as an ex-officio member on the NCAL Board.
“The diversity of assisted living professionals on the NCAL Board is what helps make our association strong,” said NCAL Executive Director Scott Tittle. “We are honored they have chosen to share their expertise and leadership to move the assisted living profession forward.”
Members of the AHCA Board of Governors are elected annually by the association’s governing body, the Council of States. The NCAL Board of Directors is elected by current members of the NCAL Board and by NCAL State Leaders or the NCAL State Leader’s proxy. Both are elected annually at Convention.