NCAL Day – the assisted living kickoff event at the AHCA/NCAL Convention & Expo – is turning 10 this year. And to celebrate, NCAL is offering a new format where all attendees will remain in one room to hear about the most important topics in the assisted living space today.
Beyond two inspiring keynote speakers, updates from NCAL leadership and a moving awards ceremony at lunch, NCAL Day promises in depth discussions from thought leaders about the issues on the minds of assisted living providers: regulations, data, technology and affordability.
Learn more about each NCAL Day education session below, and then register for Convention, making sure you add your ticket to NCAL Day as part of your package*.
Emerging Regulatory & Policy Trends in Assisted Living
Speaker: Paula Carder, PhD, Associate Professor at Portland State University Institute on Aging
This session will include an overview of the ASPE Compendium, which is a comprehensive review of assisted living regulations in each state including trends and changes. An overview of emerging trends including new payment models, the importance of data in working with other providers, and other changes in the industry.
Innovations in Benchmarking
· Sheryl Zimmerman, PhD, Distinguished Professor and Co-Director, Program on Aging, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
· Pat Giorgio, MPS, President /CEO, Evergreen Estates, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
· Lindsay Schwartz, PhD, Senior Director, Workforce & Quality Improvement, National Center for Assisted Living
Measurement and quality improvement has lagged in assisted living. To address this shortcoming, an environmental scan was conducted to identify and evaluate evidence-based tools (measures and instruments) for quality improvement in assisted living and other health and long term care settings, with a priority focus on five domains: person-centered care, medication management, resident/patient quality outcomes, care coordination/transitions, and workforce.
The Future of Technology in Assisted Living
· Jim Walker, EVP and Chief Strategy Officer, Inworks Servicing, LLC
· Steve Schwartz, CEO, Wave Sensor, Inc.
· Amy Johnson, Co-Founder , LifeLoop
· Jim Bridges, MHA, CEO, PayRight Health Solutions, LLC
As assisted living and senior care continue to change and evolve, so do the needs surrounding technology both for providers and residents. During this session, attendees will hear from three leading companies in the technology space on what innovations and changes are on the horizon for assisted living and how providers can ensure their operations keep up with the demand and need to be cutting edge.
Affordability in Assisted Living
· Rod Burkett, CEO, Gardant Management Solutions, Inc, Eastern Illinois Unversity
· Wayne Smallwood, Executive Director, Affordable Assisted Living Coalition, Southern Illinois University
There is a growing need to make more assisted living available as the country braces for the unprecedented number of seniors that will require housing with services in the next 15 years. This session will provide a blueprint for how develop and operate assisted living for all income levels, but especially those seniors with low to moderate incomes.
*NCAL Day is a separate ticketed event and must be purchased in addition to any convention registration package.