Updated infection surveillance definitions for long term care facilities (LTCFs) was released last fall. In a Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of American (SHAE)/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) position paper, issues with LTCF surveillance and definitions were discussed. The definition update was completed by an expert consensus panel and were based on review of the literature. The definitions reported to have had the most significant changes included urinary tract and respiratory tract infections. Definitions that were added included Clostridum difficile and norovirus gastroenteritis.
- Considerations for Inclusion of Infection in LTCFs Infection Surveillance Programs
- Definition for Constitutional Criteria in Residents of LTCFs
- Confusion Assessment Method Criteria
- Surveillance Definitions for Respiratory Tract Infections
- Surveillance Definitions for Urinary Tract Infections
- Surveillance Definitions for Skin, Soft Tissue, and Mucosal Infections
- Surveillance Definitions for Gastrointestinal Tract Infections